Why is my cat suddenly pooping outside the litter box?
Original Question: My cat is only using the litter box for urinating while he does his other business outside of the litter box. We're not sure why but this began but it started about 6 months ago. - Aisha
This sure is frustrating. The most important thing to ask is what changed since then – moves, renovations, new family members, visitors, changes outside that may have caused stress or anxiety. Additionally, things to consider might include litter box type, size, litter type, and location. Getting your cat checked out by your vet is also important to check for changes in his health status including organ function and joint health.
All the best.
Dr. Ryan Llera
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.
- Do you recommend a stool test for my cat who is on a raw food diet?
- Answered by: Dennis Chmiel, DVM, MBA
- Nov 25, 2020
- When can you start brushing a cat’s teeth?
- Answered by: Jeanne Perrone, MS, CVT, VTS (Dentistry)
- Jun 13, 2020
- Why does my cat have a runny nose and discharge in his eyes?
- Answered by: Dr. Alex Avery, BVSc
- May 16, 2019