Why does my dog have bald spots and little bumps on his skin?
Original Question: So my dog has been getting bald spots and has approximately 3. He scratches and I feel like he’s making it worst. I think he’s allergic to something because he has little bumps. What can I put on his fur to make it grow back? And what can I use for the bumps? - Iliana
Without a specific diagnosis, it’s too difficult to suggest any specific treatments. There could be allergies but they could also be due to underlying infection with bacteria, yeast, or mange mites to name a few possibilities. Some treatments may actually make the hair loss or bumps worse. The hair will likely grow back once the underlying cause is identified and treated. A visit to your veterinarian is the next best step to get your pup back on track.
Best of luck,
Dr. Ryan Llera
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.
- Do you recommend a stool test for my dog who is on a raw food diet?
- Answered by: Dennis Chmiel, DVM, MBA
- Nov 25, 2020
- Do small or large breed dogs have more problems with their teeth?
- Answered by: Jeanne Perrone, MS, CVT, VTS (Dentistry)
- Sep 5, 2020
- How do dogs contract leptospirosis and how can it be prevented?
- Answered by: Dr. Alex Avery, BVSc
- Jun 21, 2019