What are the symptoms of menstruation (heat or estrus) in female dogs?
Original Question: I worry about the symptoms of a period or menstruation for my two female dogs. What are they? - Raymon
Some of the signs of heat, or estrus, in a dog are:
– Swelling of the vulva
– Bleeding from the vulva
– Mounting behaviour (trying to jump up on other dogs or objects in a ‘humping’ position)
– Licking of her genital area
– Nervous, anxious or nesting behaviour
– Urinating more often
I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking, I speculate as to whether you may be worried that they were spayed but still exhibiting the behaviour of being intact or you’re breeding them and need to improve your success rate. I will provide further advice if you need it.
Thanks and good luck!
Dr. Clayton Greenway
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.
- Do you recommend a stool test for my dog who is on a raw food diet?
- Answered by: Dennis Chmiel, DVM, MBA
- Nov 25, 2020
- Do small or large breed dogs have more problems with their teeth?
- Answered by: Jeanne Perrone, MS, CVT, VTS (Dentistry)
- Sep 5, 2020
- How do dogs contract leptospirosis and how can it be prevented?
- Answered by: Dr. Alex Avery, BVSc
- Jun 21, 2019