What are some tips on how to get cats to stop fighting?
Original Question: My two cats are brothers and tend to fight from time to time but last night an incident occurred which led them to both to hiss and loudly meow at each other for the entire night and they have continued to do so today. They both seem very stressed and anxious and are not sleeping as they usually do at this time of the day. Is there anything we can do to calm them down? - Susan
Yes there are things you can do when it comes to how to get cats to stop fighting. Here they are:
- Install a diffuser in your home. This is a device that emits appeasing pheromones (airborne hormones) that have a great record of success at reducing interact aggression.
- Provide elevated structures to allow them to get away from each other or have their own space.
- Talk to your veterinarian about natural supplements that reduce anxiety.
- Buy lots of engaging toys that you can engage them with so you wear them out (exhaust them) so that the other cat doesn’t become the ‘play-thing’.
- Make sure they each have their own litter box or at least set up multiple ones to avoid conflict.
- Use multiple feeding bowls to avoid conflict.
I think by implementing these strategies you’ll have some success.
Dr. Clayton Greenway
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.