What are some tips for potty training a puppy?
Original Question: What is the best way to train a puppy to go to the bathroom outside? - Lucas
Crate training with positive reinforcement is my strong recommendation for potty training a puppy as it is an effective option. To simply explain crate training, when you are not home or awake, your puppy is in the crate. Every few hours, you take them right outside to use the bathroom and offer a reward or high-value treat. They don’t need to live in the crate but after being loose for a little while, put them back in the crate for a time and then repeat the process of taking them out again. Keep in mind, each puppy is different and this may not work for every puppy or some may take a little longer than others to become completely housebroken.
All the best.
Dr. Ryan Llera
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.
- Do you recommend a stool test for my dog who is on a raw food diet?
- Answered by: Dennis Chmiel, DVM, MBA
- Nov 25, 2020
- Do small or large breed dogs have more problems with their teeth?
- Answered by: Jeanne Perrone, MS, CVT, VTS (Dentistry)
- Sep 5, 2020
- How do dogs contract leptospirosis and how can it be prevented?
- Answered by: Dr. Alex Avery, BVSc
- Jun 21, 2019