Are raisins toxic to dogs and if so, what would be the course of action?
Original Question: Just gave our long-haired Chihuahua raisins and then looked it up and found out it’s toxic. What do we do? - Wayne
Thanks for your question.
Raisins have been known to be toxic to dogs. They have the potential of causing damage to the kidneys.
Whenever a pet ingests a potentially toxic substance, we encourage people to go directly to their veterinarian or an emergency facility where their pet can receive immediate care.
The most likely course of action they will take is to implement detoxifying procedures such as the induction of vomiting, activated charcoal administration and fluid therapy. They will likely recommend blood and urine testing to determine a baseline of function and then re-check these values as they implement treatment to evaluate the response. I suspect they will recommend hospitalization so that observation can occur and treatment can be modified based on results.
I hope this helps.
Dr. Clayton Greenway
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.
- Do you recommend a stool test for my dog who is on a raw food diet?
- Answered by: Dennis Chmiel, DVM, MBA
- Nov 25, 2020
- Do small or large breed dogs have more problems with their teeth?
- Answered by: Jeanne Perrone, MS, CVT, VTS (Dentistry)
- Sep 5, 2020
- How do dogs contract leptospirosis and how can it be prevented?
- Answered by: Dr. Alex Avery, BVSc
- Jun 21, 2019