How do you prevent tear stains in dogs?
Original Question: Do you have any recommendations for removing tear stains? I have a healthy 4-year-old Maltese. I feed her raw, meat raw vegetables and occasionally freeze-dried raw treats. She drinks filtered water. I wash and flea comb her eyes daily mostly with water and sometimes salt water. I may try adding a small amount of apple cider vinegar in her water that I've heard about. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have. - Marie
Thanks for your question.
This is a common inquiry. Unfortunately tear stains do create an undesirable cosmetic issue in our pets. I have recorded a thorough answer that details the cause and treatments that exist to address it, entitled ‘How do You Get Rid of a Dog’s Tear Stains’. I’m sure it will be helpful.
All the best.
Dr. Clayton Greenway
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.
- Do you recommend a stool test for my dog who is on a raw food diet?
- Answered by: Dennis Chmiel, DVM, MBA
- Nov 25, 2020
- Do small or large breed dogs have more problems with their teeth?
- Answered by: Jeanne Perrone, MS, CVT, VTS (Dentistry)
- Sep 5, 2020
- How do dogs contract leptospirosis and how can it be prevented?
- Answered by: Dr. Alex Avery, BVSc
- Jun 21, 2019