Our dog has been panting and scratching but I can’t find any fleas. What should our next steps be?
Original Question: For the past few days Bella has been panting and scratching. I've looked her over for fleas but she has none on her and I'm not sure if it is a heat rash irritation and I don't know how to treat it. - Tamara
If you can’t find a skin lesion, I wouldn’t be so quick to jump to a diagnosis. Panting and scratching can each be due to a multitude of causes – hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing’s disease), allergies, pain, and skin infection to name a few. It would be beneficial to have a complete exam and some baseline diagnostics done based on those exam findings.
I hope this gives you some direction,
Dr. Ryan Llera
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.
- Do you recommend a stool test for my dog who is on a raw food diet?
- Answered by: Dennis Chmiel, DVM, MBA
- Nov 25, 2020
- Do small or large breed dogs have more problems with their teeth?
- Answered by: Jeanne Perrone, MS, CVT, VTS (Dentistry)
- Sep 5, 2020
- How do dogs contract leptospirosis and how can it be prevented?
- Answered by: Dr. Alex Avery, BVSc
- Jun 21, 2019