Is it normal that my small dog will only eat ¼ of dry food?
Original Question: My Shih Tzu only eats 1/4 cup of dry food sometimes and she is a fussy eater, is this normal? - Mary
This may or may not be normal for your dog. Several things to consider are the type of food, calorie content, and nutrient profile of the food. These factors may limit how much she wants to eat. Alternatively, there could be a medical reason such as dental disease, intestinal disorders, endocrine disease, or behavioral/stress problems. If you haven’t had a recent checkup with your veterinarian, I would encourage you to do so.
I hope this helps!
Dr. Ryan Llera
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.
- Do you recommend a stool test for my dog who is on a raw food diet?
- Answered by: Dennis Chmiel, DVM, MBA
- Nov 25, 2020
- Do small or large breed dogs have more problems with their teeth?
- Answered by: Jeanne Perrone, MS, CVT, VTS (Dentistry)
- Sep 5, 2020
- How do dogs contract leptospirosis and how can it be prevented?
- Answered by: Dr. Alex Avery, BVSc
- Jun 21, 2019