My dog threw up worms. Should I keep feeding him?
Original Question: He just vomited partially digested food with white stringy worms through it. His breeder said he was dewormed. Should I keep feeding him? - Faye
Thanks for your question.
The answer is pretty simple. Due to the fact that your dog vomited worms, I recommend you have your dog tested for a gastrointestinal parasite. You can do this by collecting a fecal sample and dropping it off at your veterinarian’s office for testing. Even if your dog or cat was dewormed, it can still have parasites. In order to resolve it, it may take a different/proper dosage, multiple treatments, or a different medication altogether to resolve that particular parasitic infection.
In the meantime, I wouldn’t recommend withholding food but I would be cautious with the amount you offer. The stomach is obviously irritated so I recommend you offer small meals more often and allow free access to water.
Dr. Clayton Greenway
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.