How long does bloody discharge from a heat cycle last and how long should I wait to have my dog spayed?
Original Question: My 8-month-old Poodle puppy has been in heat since December 22 and still having a bit of bloody discharge today. Is this normal for it to go on for so long? Also how long do I have to wait after her heat is over to have her spayed? - Marianne
The bloody discharge from a heat cycle typically lasts 2-3 weeks, so yes it can be normal to happen for a prolonged time. I recommend waiting at least 3 weeks from the time of the last bloody discharge being seen to have her spayed.
Best of luck,
Dr. Ryan Llera
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.
- Do you recommend a stool test for my dog who is on a raw food diet?
- Answered by: Dennis Chmiel, DVM, MBA
- Nov 25, 2020
- Do small or large breed dogs have more problems with their teeth?
- Answered by: Jeanne Perrone, MS, CVT, VTS (Dentistry)
- Sep 5, 2020
- How do dogs contract leptospirosis and how can it be prevented?
- Answered by: Dr. Alex Avery, BVSc
- Jun 21, 2019