Could a few consecutive high-fat meals cause pancreatitis in dogs?
Original Question: Good day Dr.’s. Thanks for the reply re: dogs & bones. I have another question, could 1 or 2 consecutive high-fat meal(s) like bacon grease or table scraps trigger a bout of pancreatitis? Thanks in advance for your response. - Ted
Thanks for your question.
The answer is simple. It absolutely could. Any high-fat meal has the potential of causing pancreatitis but there are many other factors as well such as obesity, breed, previous episodes, and more.
All the best.
Dr. Clayton Greenway
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.
- Do you recommend a stool test for my dog who is on a raw food diet?
- Answered by: Dennis Chmiel, DVM, MBA
- Nov 25, 2020
- Do small or large breed dogs have more problems with their teeth?
- Answered by: Jeanne Perrone, MS, CVT, VTS (Dentistry)
- Sep 5, 2020
- How do dogs contract leptospirosis and how can it be prevented?
- Answered by: Dr. Alex Avery, BVSc
- Jun 21, 2019