Is it concerning that my dog is drinking water excessively?
Original Question: Should I be concerned if my dog is drinking an excessive amount of water? - Linda
Absolutely! If you’ve noticed your pet drinking more water than they used to, it could be a sign of a significant problem. Diabetes, kidney disease, adrenal gland disease, and even some types of cancer can cause polydipsia (drinking excessive water). The earlier you have it checked out with your vet, the better the long-term outlook for your pet may be.
Dr. Ryan Llera
Disclaimer: healthcareforpets.com and its team of veterinarians and clinicians do not endorse any products, services, or recommended advice. All advice presented by our veterinarians, clinicians, tools, resources, etc is not meant to replace a regular physical exam and consultation with your primary veterinarian or other clinicians. We always encourage you to seek medical advice from your regular veterinarian.
- Do you recommend a stool test for my dog who is on a raw food diet?
- Answered by: Dennis Chmiel, DVM, MBA
- Nov 25, 2020
- Do small or large breed dogs have more problems with their teeth?
- Answered by: Jeanne Perrone, MS, CVT, VTS (Dentistry)
- Sep 5, 2020
- How do dogs contract leptospirosis and how can it be prevented?
- Answered by: Dr. Alex Avery, BVSc
- Jun 21, 2019